Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CCTV WIFI question

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 00:11:26 -0700, DaveC wrote:

For running wires, I use CAT5, not coax cable.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220994815246
One pair for video, one pair for power, and 2 cameras per cable. About
150 ft maximum.

A friend wants to wire his home for cameras. The front door is the most
troublesome: inside the door is the living room, high ceilings and windows
running almost the full height.

How does one get power (and if using wired cameras, data) to/from a camera?

Older cameras run on 24VAC or DC. Newer cameras run on 12VAC or DC. I
use CAT5 wiring for the composite video cameras. One pair of wires
for the video. One pair of wires for the AC or DC to run the camera.
Two cameras per CAT5 cable. There are interface adapters that will do
both video and DC:
Individual cables:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300931365922
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300931368390
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111129491333
Conglomerated video + DC:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251258535747
There are some other configurations.

For IP cameras, I either use PoE (power over ethernet) or supply power
locally for the camera.

I told him it would require significant ripping up of the sheetrock
(textured, of course) and re-doing it all after the install. He isn't
tempted.

I rarely have to touch the sheet rock. When I used to do my own
wiring, I had a 6ft long semi-flexible drill bit and guide bar for
drilling into the wall via the attic or from under the flooring.
Something like this:
http://constructionmanuals.tpub.com/14027/css/14027_214.htm
http://www.lashen.com/vendors/greenlee/hole_making.asp
http://www.licensedelectrician.com/Store/RT/Bumper-Balls.htm
I used an old tennis ball, or when desperate, a soda can.

I try to run blue flex electrical raceway (smurf tube) instead of
putting the wires directly into the wall, especially between floors.
The advantage is that it can later be used for other cables, such as
alarm, camera, TV, fiber optic, thermostat, etc.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-3-4-in-x-100-ft-Blue-Electrical-Non-Metallic-Tubing-12007-100/100404116
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-2-in-x-25-ft-Electrical-Non-Metallic-Tubing-12005-025/100569078
Check your local building code before using this stuff as some
jurisdictions insist on metal conduit.

I sold most of my tools years ago and now hire much younger
masochistic contractors who seem to enjoy working in crawl spaces.

Any suggestions how to do this that isn't so messy?

Yes.
- Ask a professional electrician, alarm, or telephone installer
how it's done. There are plenty of non-obvious tricks,
- Learn by available rework type electrical boxes and techniques.
- Get a good borescope camera so you can see inside the wall.
- Be prepared to spend about $2,000 on the necessary tools.
- Be prepared to make a few expensive mistakes while learning.
- Consult your insurance agent to evaluate your financial exposure.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D