Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan alan is offline

Default LED PIR Floodlights

On 30/07/2013 10:14, Andrew Mawson wrote:
I'm sure this has been covered before but doesn't come to hand in a search:

Can anyone recommend from personal experience a modestly priced LED PIR
floodlight. I have many of the conventional 150 watt (78mm lamp) and 500
watt (117mm lamp) scattered around the various outbuildings of the farm,
and today's job was (yet again) to replace the bulbs. The first two 150
watt one thwarted me due to rusted screws seizing solid, then the rain
defeated me with the four 500 watt ones that need changing but they are
quite likely in the same condition - they only last a year or so before
the corrosion gets to them. I have been down sizing bulbs on changing
them to 130 and 400 watts but perhaps the time is right to change to
LEDs ? Usually the high brightness of an incandescent light is not
needed when it is pitch black all around.

Why not buy a 20W LED floodlight from Ebay and check that its bright
enough? I have a 10W version and it adequately lights the area where I
previously had an (over-powering) 150W conventional light.

Many of the UK Ebay sellers have warm white and cool white. I suspect
that for your usage the cool white (daylight/6500K) would work better.

Go for the ones with a single led rather than the ones with multiple LEDs.

Example taken at random from Ebay (possibly up to £10 cheaper from other
UK suppliers)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIR-10W-20...em5 af15c1a64