Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Auto OBD not ready?

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 19:10:15 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"azotic" fired this volley in news:kt6vgv$har$1
:

"OBD not ready

Demand that the *******s put a tailpipe analyzer on it, or pass you.
They have no legal right to 'invade' your private space inside your
vehicle, and they have no means to connect an OBD-II connector to your
vehicle without doing so.

Such constitutes an unwarranted search and seizure without probable
cause.

Aren't the state inspections written up so the techs have legal access
to OBD ports? (Cars didn't yet have those when my smog license in CA
was current, way back in the '80s.)

I'm not entranced by the State digging into our lives, but I was
really sad when CA stopped its safety inspections after the ACLU took
them to court over its Constitutionality. They got a whole lot of
unsafe vehicles (and people) either fixed or off the streets. They
would run a mirror under the car to check for holes in the exhaust
systems, check all lights and turn signals, lean in the door and step
on the brake pedal to check for unsafe brake systems/low pedals, and
check the headlight alignment. They also caught a bunch of drunks and
got them off the roads, so it was absolutely for the greater good.
Now, all they're doing is looking for polluters and everybody's lights
blind others all the time. Go figure!

--
If you're trying to take a roomful of people by
surprise, it's a lot easier to hit your targets