Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair

Default Backup, backup!

I don't trust cloud storage, as that means someone else can read the
data. With a local external drive, it's not readable by others. As it
happens, I did have two drives in my computer, at the point that I
downloaded the malware (pretending to be XP service pack 3). I lost both
drives. One was able to reformat, the other was not. Both drives, the
data was all lost. Looking back, I ought have disconnected the F drive,
and kept the data safe. Ought to have had all that data on a
disconnected external drive before I went for the "upgrade". Some of the
data had been burned to CD or DVD, and that's recoverable.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

On 7/28/2013 12:24 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Oh, No, I won't put out anything on web cloud storage. Once in my
working days, a university campus mainframe system took a direct
lightning hit wiping out all data to a point of uselessness. It had
dozens of monster size mass storage subsystems occupying a large floor
space.
For an example operators used to move around on roller blades. Realizing
the extent of system damage we decided to whole system image restore
from a weekly backup kept at off site vault. It took 3 whole days(72
hours) non-stop rstore operations. The system was UPS battery bank with
MG set up. LIghtning strike came down on main AC power buss.