Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Pat[_9_] Pat[_9_] is offline

Default CCTV WIFI question

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 18:38:49 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 14:41:02 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have a customer who has an office with five rooms.
He would like me to install a video camera at the
front door and then be able to see who walks into
the office lobby on his computer. The individual
rooms' computers are not networked but he does
have WIFI. He says he thinks that there is a way
to put the video signal over the WIFI so that everyone
in the office with a computer who is logged on
to that WIFI will be able to see the camera signal
on their computer. Is there a way to do this?
Thanks, Lenny

The video is going to saturate the wi-fi to the point where the wi-fi
will be useless. Even one camera belching uncompressed video will do
that.

That mey be true, but he doesn't need a camera belching uncompressed
video. I use IP cameras from Panasonic (higher quality but expensive)
and Foscam (inexpensive but some firmware bugs to work around). For
the need the OP is describing, he can have the camera send one jpeg
snapshot per second so wi-fi has plenty of bandwidth even if all five
users are watching. And, no controller is needed.

snip
For that, you'll need an IP camera. CAT5 wiring, with one camera per
cable.

But CAT5 wiring is sometimes impossible to run without a major hassle.
Wi-fi will work.
snip
Hint: Don't use wi-fi for devices that don't move.

I disagree. Wire is best, but wi-fi works for hard to reach places
whether they move or not.

Pat