nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Smith[_4_] View Post
On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 18:55:28 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

got some kind of malware, that really made a mess of my drive

Do you not have an anti-virus program?

Free Antivirus | Download Free Virus Protection Software | AVG
I think I've got a better way of doing it.

I have two computers connected with a KVM switch.

I run my business with one computer and do all of my internet surfing on my other older computer. My KVM switch only has ports for two computers, but most KVM switches allow you to connect up to 4 computers to the same keyboard, video monitor and mouse.

If I ever get a bug on my internet surfing computer, I just format the hard disk and reload Windows XP, which takes about 90 minutes. I have very little software that I use on that surfing computer, so once XP is reloaded the rest of the software, reloading my bookmarks and resetting my ISP connection is done in less than half an hour. So far, I find that I reformat the hard drive on my internet computer about once a year on average because I get some kind of virus, adware or other malicious software, OR, as often as not, and automatic update from Microsoft or someone else screws it up.

I think buying a KVM switch and using a separate computer for internet stuff is a better solution than antivirus software because it doesn't slow the computer down like running antivirus software in the background does. And, nowadays just about everyone has old computers kicking around the house that are still good enough to be used for surfing the internet.

On my business computer I have all my business files on a 128 GB solid state drive. Solid state drives are like one big memory stick with no platter or head to crash or motor to burn out, so they're very much more reliable than conventional hard drives. They have no moving parts, so there's not much that CAN go wrong with them. The solid state drive connects with a USB cable, so if and when I buy a new computer, it's just a matter of plugging the drive into the new computer and I'm back in business. I don't have to start transferring files to the new computer.

Last edited by nestork : July 28th 13 at 05:44 AM