Posted to alt.survival,alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Backup, backup!

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Saturday July 27, 2013
Last week, one of my computer programs wasn't working right. Short
form, is that I find out MS doesn't support XP anymore, and I can't
get the computer working the way it used to. The way I liked. This new
Thunderbird isn't very easy to use, at least compared to OE. I tried
downloading a service pack from a non MS website, and got some kind of
malware, that really made a mess of my drive, and my slave drive.
Ended up buying a new drive, and I'm in the process of reformatting
the drive I'd been using. Still can't get Outlook Express to work.
Lost a lot of files, data, and thousands of old emails that were
either not backed up, or can't be read with the new email program.

I have no problem downloading all the updates for XP, even if starting with SP1.

Unless the old drive really died, reloading XP and doing all the updates should
get it working. Better, make a slipstreamed XP SP3 disc, unless you already have
a SP3 disk, and do a repair install, and you should still have all your files.