Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spindle repair

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 19:23:23 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 14:31:42 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 06:49:32 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Karl
Greetings Karl,
I have an old Index mill that uses the same type of power drawbar.
Even though the splined ends are pointed they would sometimes not
engage the female spline proiperly and the impact wrench would just
spin while trying to knock off the points on the ends of the spline.
So I installed a switch in the common wire to the impact wrench that
would only close when the splines were mated properly. Since then the
power drawbar setup works very well.
Eric
Now, THAT'S a good idea. I occasionaly grind a pound. Mine happens
when I'm overdue for a shot of air tool oil in the airlines to the
unit.

Has anyone ever found an automatic oiler which works as stated?
sigh

Actually...yes. Machine tools are often home to 2-5 of them. From
the Bjur to many other flavors. That being said..there are many

I don't mean pressurized oil, I meant oil-misted compressed air.

Indeed. Bjur also makes misters.

different applications and lubers for each application

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic_lubricator

You most certainly dont want to put a luber on the output from the air
tank. That means every air line in the house gets oil. Not good when
using air to spritz the dust out of a TV or control box. Same with
using air hoses on the end of a luber. That air hose quickly becomes
oil soaked and will occasionally spit out a blob of oil..not something
you want to happen when you are spray painting your restored car.

The best way is to put a luber on its own stub and use it for nothing
whatsoever but for the machine its supposed to be lubing..with its
very own dedicated air hose.

That's the only place I'd use one, at the machine input. But I've
never trusted the FRLs, even from the well-known & exotic HFT.
Except for removing moisture and particulates.

This is the brand I use mostly..but there are others out there equally
as good.

http://www.htetechnologies.com/vendo...%20Fluid%20Air

That being said...there is absolutely nothing wrong when using air
tools..with simply squirting some air tool oil (just about an oil)
into the input fitting once or twice a day if you are using it
throughout the day.

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-fl-o...oil-68095.html

My favorite of course is Marvel Mystery Oil. A quart is about $9 and
will last freaking YEARS.

That's precisely what I have always done, MMO. It has as pleasant a
smell as Hoppe's #9.

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of