Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spindle repair

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 15:53:13 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

HELP. I’m in deep **** now!

I’m rebuilding my Excello CNC spindle. I’ve taken it down as far as I
can and have a REAL problem. I can’t get the drawbar out and that’s
preventing me from getting the spindle apart.

How is the CNC drawbar engaged? (curious) I thought drawbars were
just glorified, dual-threaded long bolts which engaged the bit from
the top, drawing it into the tapered spindle hole.

Here’s three pictures showing my spindle. Along side it is a donor
machine spindle shaft and quill cartridge. Not exactly the same as no
drawbar but its from another Excello
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/spindle_1.jpg
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/spindle_2.jpg
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/spindle_3.jpg

At the top of the unit there was a 7/8 hex (see wrench in pictures) so
i tried to turn it. Wouldn’t go until I used a three foot cheater bar.
Now it goes round and round fairly easy, but it wasn’t a thread.

I can see this part is attached to the top of the spline on the
spindle and must be removed to complete the disassembly.

Ideas?

Deep 7/8" impact socket and pneumatic impact wrench, Karl. Use a
large diameter hose and high pressure air for maximum torque. Try it
both ways to rule out left-hand threads. Maybe wedge an old bit in
the collet to slow down the turning if it slips on you.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.