Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Spindle repair

HELP. I’m in deep **** now!

I’m rebuilding my Excello CNC spindle. I’ve taken it down as far as I
can and have a REAL problem. I can’t get the drawbar out and that’s
preventing me from getting the spindle apart.

Here’s three pictures showing my spindle. Along side it is a donor
machine spindle shaft and quill cartridge. Not exactly the same as no
drawbar but its from another Excello
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/spindle_1.jpg
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/spindle_2.jpg
http://www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/spindle_3.jpg

At the top of the unit there was a 7/8 hex (see wrench in pictures) so
i tried to turn it. Wouldn’t go until I used a three foot cheater bar.
Now it goes round and round fairly easy, but it wasn’t a thread.

I can see this part is attached to the top of the spline on the
spindle and must be removed to complete the disassembly.

Ideas?

Karl