Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Finding/Locating sewer line under basement floor

On 7/15/2013 12:16 PM, harryagain wrote:
wrote in message
On Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:04:38 PM UTC-5, Ron wrote:
I own a property that has a cast iron sewer line that runs under the

basement floor, and I want to be able to mark out and locate where it
runs

under the basement floor. I know that I could hire a company to come out

and do that, but I am wondering if there are any fairly cheap, creative,
and

interesting/fun ways for me to try to locate the line myself.

For example, is there some kind of small signal generator that I could

attach to a sewer line snake and detect the signal from above with some
type

of detector?

Yes there are. Go down to your local tool hire shop.

If it's not too deep, a metal detector.

The pipe locator guys inject a signal on the pipe
and detect it from above.

I built a crude one.
used a function generator at 6.5kHz to inject a signal between
the pipe and ground. That just happened to be the peak sensitivity
of the receiver.

Sensed it with a coil wound on a vertical ferrite stick.
Plugged that into the microphone input of a computer.
Used a sound card scope to detect it.
I used a pda and a spectrum analysis program, but any
old computer should work.