Old January 11th 12, 07:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Finding/Locating sewer line under basement floor

I own a property that has a cast iron sewer line that runs under the
basement floor, and I want to be able to mark out and locate where it runs
under the basement floor. I know that I could hire a company to come out
and do that, but I am wondering if there are any fairly cheap, creative, and
interesting/fun ways for me to try to locate the line myself.

For example, is there some kind of small signal generator that I could
attach to a sewer line snake and detect the signal from above with some type
of detector? -- maybe something that Radio Shack or some electronics store
might sell?

Or, are there relatively inexpensive underground pipe-locating devices that
I could rent somewhere and do the job?

Would a metal detector be able to detect a cast iron pipe under a concrete
floor (assuming that the pipe is not down very far below the floor?

Old January 11th 12, 07:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

You could buy about 50 pounds of radioactive waste from Japan (on ebay) and
put that in the drain. Use a geiger counter to follow the signal. That's
creative, fun, and memorable.

Toner tracer set like the phone guys use. On sale, at HF.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html

Have your mother in law yell into the toilet, and pretend to trace the line.
Keep saying "A little louder, dear"

DAGS: http://tinyurl.com/83atd7u

I'll think on this for a while, and some other zany ideas will come to mind.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Old January 11th 12, 07:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 11, 12:04*pm, "Ron" wrote:
I own a property that has a cast iron sewer line that runs under the
basement floor, and I want to be able to mark out and locate where it runs
under the basement floor. *I know that I could hire a company to come out
and do that, but I am wondering if there are any fairly cheap, creative, and
interesting/fun ways for me to try to locate the line myself.

For example, is there some kind of small signal generator that I could
attach to a sewer line snake and detect the signal from above with some type
of detector? -- maybe something that Radio Shack or some electronics store
might sell?

Or, are there relatively inexpensive underground pipe-locating devices that
I could rent somewhere and do the job?

Would a metal detector be able to detect a cast iron pipe under a concrete
floor (assuming that the pipe is not down very far below the floor?

First try tracing it with a simple magnetic compass. If that is not as
effective as you need, rent a regular plumbers device. You could also
borrow (or buy) a metal detector which will do the job.

Joe
Old January 11th 12, 08:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 11, 1:18*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
You could buy about 50 pounds of radioactive waste from Japan (on ebay) and
put that in the drain. Use a geiger counter to follow the signal. That's
creative, fun, and memorable.

Toner tracer set like the phone guys use. On sale, at HF.
* *http://www.harborfreight.com/cable-tracker-94181.html

Have your mother in law yell into the toilet, and pretend to trace the line.
Keep saying "A little louder, dear"

DAGS:http://tinyurl.com/83atd7u

I'll think on this for a while, and some other zany ideas will come to mind.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Ron" wrote in ....

I own a property that has a cast iron sewer line that runs under the
basement floor, and I want to be able to mark out and locate where it runs
under the basement floor. *I know that I could hire a company to come out
and do that, but I am wondering if there are any fairly cheap, creative, and
interesting/fun ways for me to try to locate the line myself.

For example, is there some kind of small signal generator that I could
attach to a sewer line snake and detect the signal from above with some type
of detector? -- maybe something that Radio Shack or some electronics store
might sell?

Or, are there relatively inexpensive underground pipe-locating devices that
I could rent somewhere and do the job?

Would a metal detector be able to detect a cast iron pipe under a concrete
floor (assuming that the pipe is not down very far below the floor?

Simple:

"Many dowsers today use a pair of simple L-shaped metal rods. One rod
is held in each hand, with the short arm of the L held upright, and
the long arm pointing forward. When something is found, the rods cross
over one another making an "X" over the found object. If the object is
long and straight, such as a water pipe, the rods will point in
opposite directions, showing its orientation."

from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing
Old January 11th 12, 08:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Ron wrote:

I own a property that has a cast iron sewer line that runs under the
basement floor, and I want to be able to mark out and locate where it runs
under the basement floor. I know that I could hire a company to come out
and do that, but I am wondering if there are any fairly cheap, creative, and
interesting/fun ways for me to try to locate the line myself.

For example, is there some kind of small signal generator that I could
attach to a sewer line snake and detect the signal from above with some type
of detector? -- maybe something that Radio Shack or some electronics store
might sell?

Or, are there relatively inexpensive underground pipe-locating devices that
I could rent somewhere and do the job?

Would a metal detector be able to detect a cast iron pipe under a concrete
floor (assuming that the pipe is not down very far below the floor?

Underground pipe/conduit/wire tracers can be rented from places like
United Rentals. They couple a signal from a transmitter onto the exposed
part of the line in question, normally with an inductive clamp
connection, and a separate handheld metal detector style receiver is
used to sweep the ground to locate the line. You sweep back and forth
over the line to find the peak signal which should be directly above the
line. If there is rebar / mesh in the slab if could make it more
difficult to pinpoint the line under it.

Old January 11th 12, 10:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2012 2:19 PM, Limp Arbor wrote:

Simple:

"Many dowsers today use a pair of simple L-shaped metal rods. One rod
is held in each hand, with the short arm of the L held upright, and
the long arm pointing forward. When something is found, the rods cross
over one another making an "X" over the found object. If the object is
long and straight, such as a water pipe, the rods will point in
opposite directions, showing its orientation."

from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowsing

LOL! Dowsers are as full of **** as a Christmas goose.

If you know someone that can successfully dowse, tell them they can make
a quick million at:

http://www.randi.org/library/dowsing/

Old January 11th 12, 11:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Limp Arbor wrote:
Simple:

"Many dowsers today use a pair of simple L-shaped metal rods. One rod
is held in each hand, with the short arm of the L held upright, and
the long arm pointing forward. When something is found, the rods cross
over one another making an "X" over the found object. If the object is
long and straight, such as a water pipe, the rods will point in
opposite directions, showing its orientation."

from:

I heard where one dowser tried to investigate a crop circle and his head
exploded.

Old January 12th 12, 12:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2012 10:54 AM, Joe wrote:
On Jan 11, 12:04 pm, wrote:
[...]

metal detector also find that rebar in the floor.

--
Steve Barker
Old January 12th 12, 12:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2012 4:22 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Limp Arbor wrote:
Simple:

"Many dowsers today use a pair of simple L-shaped metal rods. One rod
is held in each hand, with the short arm of the L held upright, and
the long arm pointing forward. When something is found, the rods cross
over one another making an "X" over the found object. If the object is
long and straight, such as a water pipe, the rods will point in
opposite directions, showing its orientation."

from:

I heard where one dowser tried to investigate a crop circle and his head
exploded.

Sniper with a .50 caliber Barrett M107 at least a mile away.

TDD

Old January 12th 12, 12:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

How about flush a fish down the toilet and use a fish finder?