Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mogulah@hotmail.com is offline

Default 3 phase on single phase

On Monday, July 8, 2013 10:42:48 PM UTC-4, Existential Angst wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

I have a hunter DSP 9000 tire balancer for sale near me. But it is 220 3

phase which i dont have. I know there are phase converters available but

they are expensive.

I read somewhere that 3 phase motors can be run on single phase 220, but

the motor start would not work. (You can spin the tire once by hand to get

it going then it would work).

Does this sound correct? What about the electronic read out on the

machine? Would it work on single phase 220 without a converter?

I appreciate it!

In principle, it's correck, altho poss. not practical.

The Self Righteous Spermenberg is partially correct, with a "static

converter" which is just start caps placed between L1-L3 or L2-L3 (L1-L2

being 220 single phase).

Flip them out when the unit starts. Flipping in some "run" capacitors might

help power, effic, but the motor will, as you say, now run off 220 single

phase,

And is the current on this 220 volt single phase the same as current would be if running on 110 volt single phase ??