Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default 3 phase on single phase

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 6:21:14 PM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

He mentione that wheels since the bubble balancers were

used have changed and now have more offset which

makes a bubble balancer less acurate, I dont quite

understand what he is talkign abotu but he knows

So will a bubble balancer really not work for offset wheels?

I would really like to see a picture of your balancer. Trying to picture it.
alot more than I do.

This is offset:

http://konigusa.net/wp-content/uploa...et-diagram.gif

A larger offset, to clear the brake calipers, makes the wheel a

longer, more stable pendulum that tilts less from imbalance.

I got around that on my sensitive home-made wheel balancer by cutting

the female pivot cone into the end of a screw through the balancer

hub's center so I can adjust the balance point to the 3-dimensional

center of gravity of the wheel, then raise the pivot slightly. It

works well and I can detect dynamic unbalance by spinning the wheel

after statically balancing it level.

The last time I mentioned this I couldn't convince anyone with only

words, so here is a pictu

http://www.budandsteveauto.com/_imag...-balancing.gif

If the wheel is suspended at its center of gravity and spun, the heavy

red spots will pull themselves toward the plane of rotation, making

the tire wobble.

But you'd have to make it yourself. The heavy rotating wheel dulls the

balance point and cone very quickly and I have to remachine it for

each use.

Unfortunately I dont have a mill or lathe nor have ever used one.

jsw