Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default 3 phase on single phase

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:38:23 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:
stryped wrote:

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 3:53:47 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:

stryped wrote:

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 12:59:54 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:

stryped wrote:

Ok, trying to visualize. I dont have this unit yet so I dont have the benefit of it in front of me.

I looked on the net last night. I believe your talking about the part the bullseye level sits on top of. Underneath the level is round and there is an indintation that the shaft with a ground end "pointer" fits into. Are you saying this indentation should be measured from it to the outside edge of the circle? (When I say the "circle" I am talking about the entire round piece the bulls eye level sits on top of.)

This makes sense. It should seem this should be exactly centered, provided the bullseye is exactly centered above it.

Now I know what a scope recticle is from my deer hunting days but I am a little lost as to the "squares" and the "string".

I have a digital caliper I could try to measure that indentation to make sure it is centered in the circle, but if it is not what then? I assume alot of you guys have the capability to re machine a piece with an indentation exactly in the middle. Unfortunately I dont have a mill or lathe nor have ever used one.

It is amazing I have talked to many knowledgeable people. Some swaer by the accuracy of the bubble balancer. I have had one person who has given me advice over the years via email and is very helpful. He says he would not bubble balance anythign but lawn mower tires. He mentione that wheels since the bubble balancers were used have changed and now have more offset which makes a bubble balancer less acurate, I dont quite understand what he is talkign abotu but he knows alot more than I do.

I appreciate everyone's help on here. I have learned alot.

The HF unit is a pretty good starting point. The point the balancer

How do you ensure the bubble is where it needs to be? Eyeball it?

Nope. You start at the tapered seat for the point and measure to the

outside of the cone with dividers (just like drawing a circle with a

compass) then if that is correct you can use simple squares set up on

the 4 points with a piece of thread between them as a center to check

the bubble. (about like the reticle in a scope)

I did not think the point if it is what I was thinking, is a replaceable part on that HF unit?????

ANYTHING is replaceable. The one I looked at was a simple ground point

pressed into a hole. The one on my ancient balancer is held in with a

set screw.

rides on can be junk, but it is easy to replace with something good.

The off center bubble is due to assembly. You want the center of the

bubble EXACTLY over the pivot, Plus it has to be exactly centered on the

wheel cone.

Getting those correct can sometime be a challenge for places with ???

quality control. They are not hard to correct though.

As for why dynamic is preferred--- TIME. If done correctly the end

result is a balanced tire/rim assembly.

--

Steve W.

--