Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hole in the basement floor

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:12:56 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 15:12:44 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

The overall thing here that stands out is that no

one without experience should ever buy a house without a house

inspection. If you do that, you could be paying $100K for a house

that is worth $20K. That's not to break someone's spirit or be

mean, it's just the truth.

That you think it is the truth, or even that something is the truth,

does not mean that one has chosen the right time to express it.

It is the truth plain and simple.

Are you saying the statements were plain and simple, or that because

something is the truth, it's always the right time to say it?

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I said it's the
plain and simple truth that if you don't have the necessary skills
to inspect a house yourself, you should hire a competent home
inspector before buying a house.

I take major issue with the latter, and I'll explain why if that is

what you meant.

Don't bother.

And in my world, it's far better

to tell someone how to avoid a potential disaster, so they learn,

instead of sugar coating the obvious. Do you disagree that it's

a mistake for someone not experienced in checking out a house to

not get an inspection done before buying it?

I think that's the wrong question,

It's only the wrong question because you don't want to answer it.

and I thought I made clear in the

already so it doesn't apply to her. And you're not telling her how

to avoid a potential disaster.

Yes I am. For two reasons. First, she needs a home inspector now
for the obvious reasons I stated. Second, if I don't tell her now
that she should have had a home inspector before she bought this
house, what makes you think anyone is going to tell her that before
she buys another house? Good grief.

It's of no value to her to be told she should have hired an inspector

before she bought the house, because she's bought the house already,

and she's in the middle of fixing it up. This can be a joyful

experience, as one by one, the problems get fixed.

Why would you start fixing stuff when you have no idea the

extent of the problems? She already poured a concrete slab

that not only didn't fix anything, but made it worse. She

could do a lot of repairs, pour money into it, only to find

out that to fix other problems that she can't recognize, those repairs she just made need to be torn out.

Now you're talking about hiring an inspector after purchase to give

advice about what repairs to make. But in the paragraph you're

replying to I was referring hiring an "an inspector before she bought

the house". Because you had said "She needs a complete home

inspection, which should have been done before purchase. "

See the above comments. Good grief.

BTW, in my first post on this subject, I deleted both attibution

lines, including yours, so as to not make it look like I was replying

especially to you. There had been other posts elswhere in the thread

that almost got the same reaction from me -- I don't know who wrote

them - but not enought to make me post.

But here you are, bitching at me, for giving good sound advice.

I didnt' complain about everything you and others said, only being a

downer and risking breaking her spirit (as in "and it could be tens of

thousands of dollars of trouble here."

It could be tens of thousands of dollars of trouble. It's even
possible that the house has so many problems that the best thing
she could do is walk away from it, instead of pouring more money
into it. But no one will know what she has unless she gets an
inspection done.

Instead, such

advice may turn it into months or years of berating oneself while

awake, and inabiltiy to sleep.

If that happens, it's not because of my advice.

If things go badly all-in-all, she

won't need you to convince her to hire an inspector before the next

house. She'll figure it out herself, or she'll hear about it later.

At any rate, a separate thread or inclusion in some other thread will

make the same point to everyone else who might benefit by hearing it.

Leza is the one that needs to get hear what I and others have

said. Good grief.

All I said was that she needs a competent inspection done to find

out what all is wrong with the house. She should have done that

before the purchase. If she chooses to not do it now, it's another mistake. And I'm not buying that some etiquette says that I'm

not supposed to tell her the truth.

I'm not relying on etiquette. It's common sense. Or "Love your

neighbor as yourself"

Your definition of common sense obviously doesn't equal mine.

I assume you saw the short reply that followed yesterday's longer

reply by a few mintues. I apologize for annoying you, and for

hurting your feelings if I did so. I was just looking out for Leza

and other posters in her shoes.

No you're not. Because you want to hold back the simple truth
that people need to hear because you think it's going to hurt
their "feelings". I suppose if someone had cancer, you'd just
whisper sweet nothings in their ear, instead of telling them what
they need to know so that they can get treatment.

PS: I don't see Leza bitching about this, only you.