Old July 7th 13, 03:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default hole in the basement floor

Hi
I have found that there is a hole in the basement floor! Please see the video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that corner, so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really.

My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sands, or you think I should do something else?

Thanks a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz6M...ature=youtu.be

Old July 7th 13, 03:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"leza wang" wrote in message

Hi
I have found that there is a hole in the basement floor! Please see the
video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that corner,
so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really.

My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sands,
or you think I should do something else?

Thanks a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz6M...ature=youtu.be

Leza Did you buy this house without first seeing it? There seems to be
to many things wrong with it?WW

Old July 7th 13, 04:02 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 19:04:01 -0700 (PDT), leza wang
wrote:

Hi
I have found that there is a hole in the basement floor! Please see the video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that corner, so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really.

My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sands, or you think I should do something else?

Thanks a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz6M...ature=youtu.be

That hole was put there for a reason so it would be good to find out
why before you fill it in. There may have been a leak and the
previous owner made the hold to act as a drain field or a sump. It
may have been to access sewer pips running around there, as to repair
a leak. Or is may have been a hiding place for gold.

Is the hole dry? If so, you can fill it easily. If the hole wet? If
so, you want to find the reason and stop it before filling the hole.

If you are sure you want it filled, you can use any combination of
rocks, dirt, sand. Bring it in a bucket at a time.

Old July 7th 13, 04:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 20:24:14 -0600, "WW"
wrote:

"leza wang" wrote in message

Hi
I have found that there is a hole in the basement floor! Please see the
video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that corner,
so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really.

My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sands,
or you think I should do something else?

Thanks a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz6M...ature=youtu.be

Leza Did you buy this house without first seeing it? There seems to be
to many things wrong with it?WW

Sounds like a house a friend bought. She bought the house up in
cottage country because it was cheap. It was sold as a "4 season" home
and it has no foundation(sitting on concrete blocks) and no insulation
in the floors. In March when she bought it, everything was level - the
roof ridge was straight, and all doors and windows operated.
Throughout the winter the ridgepole was up to 8 inches out of line and
most windows would not operate. By March it was straight again - but
the heating bill for the winter was about $2000. There were all kinds
of electrical issues and plumbing issues. Now she can't afford to
keep living in it - so she needs to sell it. Good luck.

People who don't know about houses shopuldn't buy them without the
assistance of someone who does. ( same goes for buying used cars, as
far as that goes)
Old July 7th 13, 05:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 6, 2013 9:04:01 PM UTC-5, leza wang wrote:
Hi I have found that there is a hole in the basement floor! Please see the video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that corner, so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really.. My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sands, or you think I should do something else? Thanks a lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz6M...ature=youtu.be

Leza,

Are there any pipes or any anything inside the hole, that look as though they might connect to somethintg else, like it is part of a perimeter drain system? Does water come up in the hole when it rains? Is the window in the picture right at ground level like your laundry room window? Is it on the same side of the house as the laundry room window?

Old July 7th 13, 05:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:
Hi
I have found that there is a hole in the basement floor! Please see the
video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that
corner, so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really.

My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy
sands, or you think I should do something else?

Thanks a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz6M...ature=youtu.be

The floor is what material and how thick ?

Greg
Old July 7th 13, 06:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

leza wang wrote:
Hi
I have found that there is a hole in the basement floor! Please see the video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that corner, so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really.

My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sands, or you think I should do something else?

Thanks a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz6M...ature=youtu.be

Hi,
Are you in Toronto? which part of the city? I used to live in Scarboro,
left Ontario in the spring of 1970 on a company transfer. How big is the
hole? Maybe it is a drain pit? Then you should remedy the leak problem
first.
If you bought that house, have you used the service of house inspector?
Old July 7th 13, 06:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"leza wang" wrote in message

[...]

Hmmm,
A expensive lesson. I never lived in a pre-owned house. Wife designed
house. I had it built after getting her design OK'd from pros and local
building permit dept.
Old July 7th 13, 10:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"leza wang" wrote in message

Hi
I have found that there is a hole in the basement floor! Please see the
video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that corner,
so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really.

My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sands,
or you think I should do something else?

Thanks a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz6M...ature=youtu.be

Leza Did you buy this house without first seeing it? There seems to be
to many things wrong with it?WW

But only in the basement and maybe the patio. Walking down the
stairs** I was impressed at how much nicer the stairs looked than the
basement. Not everyone's basement is at all "finished".

**I like that btw. You had lost the Hitchcock touch in many of your
videos, but this one defintely had it. By the time you got to the
bottom of the stairs I was scared to death. When you backed out of
the stairwell, I was sure someone was going to grab you. Did you
post this video, or was it your kidnapper? And what does he want to
release you?

Old July 7th 13, 10:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi
I have found that there is a hole in the basement floor! Please see the video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that corner, so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really.

My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sands, or you think I should do something else?

Thanks a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz6M...ature=youtu.be

That hole was put there for a reason so it would be good to find out
why before you fill it in. There may have been a leak and the
previous owner made the hold to act as a drain field or a sump. It
may have been to access sewer pips running around there, as to repair
a leak. Or is may have been a hiding place for gold.

I thnk the kidnapper was looking for the gold. Probably found it and
that's why the hole is empty. The OP probably came home early and
that's why he snatched her too.

Is the hole dry? If so, you can fill it easily. If the hole wet? If
so, you want to find the reason and stop it before filling the hole.

If you are sure you want it filled, you can use any combination of
rocks, dirt, sand. Bring it in a bucket at a time.

Rocks tend to be free, and they make the filling go quickly, except
for spaces between the rocks. But they might be harder to remove
when you want to get your gold.