Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default 3 phase on single phase

stryped wrote:
On Monday, July 8, 2013 2:23:13 PM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
I have a hunter DSP 9000 tire balancer for sale near me. But it is
220 3 phase which i dont have. I know there are phase converters
available but they are expensive.

I read somewhere that 3 phase motors can be run on single phase
220, but the motor start would not work. (You can spin the tire
once by hand to get it going then it would work).

Does this sound correct? What about the electronic read out on the
machine? Would it work on single phase 220 without a converter?

I appreciate it!

This balancer is 300 dollars. But it also does not have the cones or
anything with it which I would have to get. I really wanted it for my
home shop. I have three vehicles currently and have adaughter that
will be driving shortly. I live out in the middle of nowhere so it is
hard to get things such as this done.

I have thought about an old fashion bubble balancer but have read
some people say they wont work with modern radial tires but I have
others who swear by them.

All the accessories will bump that 300 up REAL fast. Add in the
conversion system and you will be over 1000.00 before you can balance
one tire.

Bubble units work BUT they take some skill. They also require some work.
I have both and have balanced tires on the bubble and then tossed them
on the machine as a demo and not had a problem.

With a bubble unit you need to make sure it is set up correct. One of
the biggest problems is having an out of center bubble. VERY common with
the cheaper units. Not hard to fix though.

--
Steve W.