Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3 phase on single phase

. 3.70...
"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in
news:krh2ll$ed1
:

Could you give the reasons that apply to a quiet one-man hobby
shop,
as opposed to a noisy, distracting business with 1 workers
present?

Jim, I know you're not a troll, but that's such a troll-like
question!

1) One worker or 100, having a grinder with open wheels or brushes
running ALL the time is just plain dangerous. A grinder dedicated
to a
production job might run all the time, but not one that's
casually-used.

2) One lapse of thought, one accidental swinging of some stock into
the
rotating wheel, and you might be injured.

3) Unless you strap the on-off switch on, you might absent-mindedly
switch it off after a grinding job, which might or might not affect
the
other running equipment using it as the 3rd-leg generator

4) It's just not _right_. It's an 'ugly solution' of a sort just
begging
to be done differently.

Lloyd

I haven't done it, just wondering if there was a consequence I havn't
thought of and couldn't easily avoid by guarding it. For example each
motor would need an indicator light to show that it's running, in case
several machines were used as idlers to increase the available power
capacity.
jsw