Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus13897 Ignoramus13897 is offline

Default 3 phase on single phase

On 2013-07-09, Jim Wilkins wrote:
. 3.70...
"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in
@dont-email.me:

How about using a machine tool running unloaded, such as a pedestal
grinder, as the rotary converter for other motors?

It would work, Jim. I can think of several reasons why I wouldn't
want a
grinder acting as an idler; but it would work.
Lloyd

Could you give the reasons that apply to a quiet one-man hobby shop,
as opposed to a noisy, distracting business with 1 workers present?

I personally think that it is a hazard to have a grinder running all
the time unattended.

I scrap a lot of used 3 phase motors, and I could sell one for just 2x
scrap (to justify the time and expense). It works out to appx. $15 per
horsepower. If shipping is not involved, it is pretty sensible. With
shipping, usually the total cost is a bit too much for most people,
and that's why I scrap those motors and do not bother selling.

If you can find someone like me in your area, you could get, say, a
ugly dirty used 3 phase 5 HP motor for $75 and be all set. Or a ugly
dirty 2HP motor for $30. etc