Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3 phase on single phase

On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 19:06:12 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

stryped wrote:
I have a hunter DSP 9000 tire balancer for sale near me. But it is
220 3 phase which i dont have. I know there are phase converters
available but they are expensive.

I read somewhere that 3 phase motors can be run on single phase 220,
but the motor start would not work. (You can spin the tire once by
hand to get it going then it would work).

Does this sound correct? What about the electronic read out on the
machine? Would it work on single phase 220 without a converter?

I appreciate it!

They use the three phases for more than just the spindle. Unless that
balancer is VERY cheap (like under $500.00) you will have more into it
than buying one set up for single phase. Or buy a large rotary converter
and be able to run more 3 phase stuff.

As I recall from fixing one for a friend who owns a tire shop..his 3ph
machine has a 3ph motor in it to drive the wheel during balance.

About a 3hp motor as I recall

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of