Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hole in the basement floor

On Sunday, July 7, 2013 4:20:58 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

She needs a complete home inspection, which should have been done

before purchase. There is no way of knowing what all is wrong and

it could be tens of thousands of dollars of trouble here.

True. It would be a good idea for her to find a decent handyman, make

him a pot roast, maybe.

If the house was a gift / inheritance I would take, fix it and move.

I wish she would follow-up on some threads so we know what was fixed

and what was not - fence , trees out front, etc. ... just sayin'

This reminds me of the movie

"The Money Pit is a 1986 comedy film, directed by Richard Benjamin and

starring Tom Hanks and Shelley Long as a couple who attempt to

renovate a recently purchased house."

Some of you guys can be a real downer when she's still in the middle

of fixing things. Are you trying to break her spirit? You don't

know what the rest of the house looks like, what she paid, or how much

money she has.

That's why I suggested getting a competent professional in to
do a complete inspection and find out the real scope of all the
problems. She's already poured some money into
an "improvement" that was work for nothing because instead of
solving a problem, it's making it worse.

I've long noticed in this group and others that some

people write like everything can be fixed with money and everyone has

enough money to do so. It's not true. Many people have to put up

with things far less than perfect because they don't have as much

money as others do.

I think most of the time people here give very practical and good
advice and there are a range of possible options covering various
price points. The overall thing here that stands out is that no
one without experience should ever buy a house without a house
inspection. If you do that, you could be paying $100K for a house
that is worth $20K. That's not to break someone's spirit or be
mean, it's just the truth.