Posted to alt.home.repair
leza wang leza wang is offline

Default hole in the basement floor

On Sunday, July 7, 2013 2:14:09 PM UTC-4, LdB wrote:
On 7/6/2013 9:04 PM, leza wang wrote:

Hi

I have found that there is a hole in the basement floor! Please see the video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that corner, so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really.

My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sands, or you think I should do something else?

Thanks a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz6M...ature=youtu.be

There are probably a few things "out of the ordinary" with your

house, but if you take a good look at any old house you will find a

few things "out of the ordinary." If it were antique furniture the

term would be "patina." The thing about patina is you leave it alone

or the antique will lose value. Think of your house the same way.

The hole has been there for some time. It was put there for a reason.

Until you can find out the reason, leave things alone. If it is a

drain then let it drain or find the leak and repair it. Some problems

are minor and can be lived with, some have to be fixed. You can't fix

a problem until you know what the problem is.

See what happens after a heavy rainfall. Keep an eye on things for a

few days or weeks.

Out of curiosity, how did you find the hole to begin with. It looks

like you tore up the floor to find it?

LdB

Thanks for your reply. Today was heavy rain and I did not see water goes to that hole. That wall has been dry. I put some cement from the outside and that might helped to push the water away not sure!

The laminate floor in that area was not firm and moving so I decided to re-seat them and that is how i found the whole. the previous owner did put a cement block in that hole, i guess just for safety if someone press that area and his/her leg go inside.