Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default hole in the basement floor

She needs a complete home inspection, which should have been done
before purchase. There is no way of knowing what all is wrong and
it could be tens of thousands of dollars of trouble here.

True. It would be a good idea for her to find a decent handyman, make
him a pot roast, maybe.

If the house was a gift / inheritance I would take, fix it and move.

I wish she would follow-up on some threads so we know what was fixed
and what was not - fence , trees out front, etc. ... just sayin'

This reminds me of the movie

"The Money Pit is a 1986 comedy film, directed by Richard Benjamin and
starring Tom Hanks and Shelley Long as a couple who attempt to
renovate a recently purchased house."

Some of you guys can be a real downer when she's still in the middle
of fixing things. Are you trying to break her spirit? You don't
know what the rest of the house looks like, what she paid, or how much
money she has. I've long noticed in this group and others that some
people write like everything can be fixed with money and everyone has
enough money to do so. It's not true. Many people have to put up
with things far less than perfect because they don't have as much
money as others do.