Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hole in the basement floor

On Saturday, July 6, 2013 11:02:25 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 19:04:01 -0700 (PDT), leza wang

wrote:

Hi

I have found that there is a hole in the basement floor! Please see the video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that corner, so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really.

My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sands, or you think I should do something else?

Thanks a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcz6M...ature=youtu.be

That hole was put there for a reason so it would be good to find out

why before you fill it in. There may have been a leak and the

previous owner made the hold to act as a drain field or a sump. It

may have been to access sewer pips running around there, as to repair

a leak. Or is may have been a hiding place for gold.

Is the hole dry? If so, you can fill it easily. If the hole wet? If

so, you want to find the reason and stop it before filling the hole.

Agree. And she has no experience with the house in various
conditions, ie like after heavy rains for 4 days. Maybe it fills
with water for all we know.

There is a *lot* wrong with this house. Best advice I can give is
that she needs to find a competent home inspector and get the whole
house inspected to find out the extent of everything that is wrong.
It doesn't make sense to be fixing one thing here, one thing there,
only to find out a year later that there are very serious problems
that require a tear-out of all the work you'be just done to fix
correctly. The few things she has found already could be just the
start.

And for an example of how you could wind up doing work for
nothing, there is the basement window example. Apparently she removed
pavers and poured concrete right up to the window. Two things wrong
there. First, it was apparently graded the wrong way. Second, by
pouring a slab instead of pavers, the water has no place to go and
is brought right to the window to pour into the basement.

She needs a complete home inspection, which should have been done
before purchase. There is no way of knowing what all is wrong and
it could be tens of thousands of dollars of trouble here.