Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Cherry/Lacewood Side Table

On 7/4/2013 1:30 AM, Bill wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
SFWIW, Cerritos College teaches:

TS blade exposure = material thickness being cut + max gullet depth +
1/2".

Designed to minimize injury damage.

(Need to give the surgeon something to sew back together)

A riving knife is worth it's weight in gold when it comes to
preventing kick back IMHO.

Lew

Here's a short related thread from Lumberjocks:

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/11838

Bill, you do what you like,
For me it makes sense to cool the carbide.
It also makes sense that cutting down will cause less kick back than
cutting into the wood.

if for some reason you veer from the fence, you cause a bind (slight)
but the teeth are pushing toward you. When the blade is high, they are
pushing toward the table top.

Take a look at Brian's cuts, see the burning. Too low, so Brian prides
himself on a good setup and is still burning. So either he is moving too
slow or he has the blade too low.. or both..

BTW why is having the blade low safe??? you can barely see it.. you may
not cut all the way through a finger, but it can cut you good, and it
can kickback more easily. So why is it safer...

All of this is what I find better, you may find something else. That's
fine...

--
Jeff