Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Wiring for multiple control [4 switches control one set of lights]lightswitch !!!

On 6/27/2013 10:03 AM, Robert Macy wrote:

Maybe a better explanation is that, when in a hurry, when entering a
room light switch panels have one order of control, but when exiting the
room the order is reversed. Yes, I knnow that left is still left and
right is still right, but that requres one to 'stop' and face the panel
set, and 'think' about it. That's what I want to avoid. I want the
simple m[n]enomic of a switch UP is ON and a swtich DOWN is OFF, then there
is NO thinking, simply hit the switch when going by.

Can no be done other than by other logic (positions, that is) as has
been beat to death by now.

IMO the thing to do is to have the positions from left to right in the
gang switch boxes make physical sense as from "inside-out" be associated
from near-to-far (or vice versa, your choice, but to me it makes more
sense for the closer to be the outer simply because that's the way Dad
did it for the ones here so it's what I grew up with but either works
you just need to be consistent and learn the pattern) at each doorway.
Then, w/ time you should learn innately which is what and the thinking
part goes away.