J. Clarke

Default why sellers love ebay

J T wrote:

Sun, Jun 13, 2004, 2:28pm lid (J.*Clarke) burbled:
I wasn't aware that UPS, FedEx, or the US Postal Service would take
anything packed in "a used cereal box". Further, I've never received
anything purchased off of ebay that arrived in "a used cereal box".
There, you've learned something new today.

What I've gotten has almost always been very well packed.

I never said anything I've gotten wasn't well packed. Don't know
where you got that idea. Cereal box, tape, newspaper packing, no prob.

If you call that "well packed" then remind me not to buy anything even
slightly fragile from you.

How much does your time bill out? Not your take-home but the whole
package through G&A and fee? How long does it take you to put something
in a box and write a label? How much does that work out to in dollars?

Well, let me see now. Hmm, if you consider that I'm on full
disability, I guess it doesn't really matter how long it would take me
to put something in a box and write a label. So I guess, depending on
how you'd look at it, in dollars, that would be zip. Doesn't matter, I
wouldn't tell you anyway.

I see. So you're basically unemployed and your time is in your opinion of
no value. That's fine, but don't find fault with others whose time is
actually worth something.

Nope, stating a reality of business. It costs a little bit to put
something in a box and ship it over and above what the carrier charges.
For someone doing small volume that cost may be higher than you would
expect.

And, it's eBay, not a store. See what Tim Douglass said, about $10
shipping, for something that cost less than a dollar to send. It ain't
that high.

And of course you've audited the particular operation that was doing the
packaging and so you're absolutely certain you know their costs.

What leads you to believe that it's not a store just because it uses ebay as
a marketing tool? IBM sells on ebay. I guess IBM isn't a "store".

If you're just trying to unload some stuff you don't need, then that's a
fine way to go about it.

It can be.

If you're using ebay sales to put food on the table it's a different
story.

Than you want happy customers. Which means a reasonable shipping
cost.

All the happy customers in the world don't put food on the table if you lose
money on each sale.

And if you're paying employees to pack and ship the stuff then it's a
_very_ different story.

And part of that story is, I ain't paying some drone's hourly wage
in one lump sum, just to have something shipped to me.

Then don't. Nobody's forcing you to bid on any particular auction.

You must be one of the too tight people, or just don't get it.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to "get". If you think the shipping cost is
too high then don't bid the auction. As for being "too tight", I'm not the
one who is whining about how someone charges too much. Or perhaps you
meant "tight" in some sense other than "tightwad"?

JOAT
I think, therefore I am. I think.

--
--John