Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default dovetail problem

On 6/19/2013 11:06 AM, Len wrote:
I have done, and checked many times, all of the above items. That's why it has been so frustrating. I guess I could try tightening the joint a bit (again). I will also measure the depth of the bit before starting, after doing the pins, and after doing the tails. That would tell me if the collett is slipping a bit.

Len

Providing the depth of both the pins and tails are not the same,
changing the cutting depth will not do any thing except change the
spacing between the pins and tails. Changing the spacing is what makes
the joint fit looser or tighter.

You absolutely should not be having to change cutter depth between
operations.

If your results are yielding different pin and tail lengths either,

1. Your bit is sliping
2. The work is not flush against the bottom of the guide fingers
3. The router is base is not always setting flush with the guide pins.