Posted to rec.woodworking
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default dovetail problem

Leon wrote:
wrote:
I am making lots of drawers using an Akeda dovetail jig. They are
half blind and the wood is 3/4" baltic birch for the front and back
and 1/2" for the sides.

I have made some sample cuts to get the dept of cut adjustment correct.
The current adjustment yields a comfortably tight joint with complete
contact between the pins and tails. However, there is a uniform gap
of about 1/16" between the bottom of the tails on the sides of the drawer
and the pins on the front face of the drawer.

At first I thought some part of a wood layer in the baltic birch had chipped
out during the process of cutting the pins. However, that appears not to
be the case; it has a nice smooth surface formed by the router.

Anybody had this problem with the Akeda?

Len

Define comfortably tight.. Correctly tight is when you can slip the
pieces together easily by hand.

Tight is good! Remember the old Ray Charles song, "Born Too Loose" ?

--
 GW Ross

 It worked! Now if only I could
 remember what I did!