Posted to rec.woodworking
Len[_4_] Len[_4_] is offline

Default dovetail problem

I am making lots of drawers using an Akeda dovetail jig. They are
half blind and the wood is 3/4" baltic birch for the front and back
and 1/2" for the sides.

I have made some sample cuts to get the dept of cut adjustment correct.
The current adjustment yields a comfortably tight joint with complete
contact between the pins and tails. However, there is a uniform gap
of about 1/16" between the bottom of the tails on the sides of the drawer
and the pins on the front face of the drawer.

At first I thought some part of a wood layer in the baltic birch had chipped
out during the process of cutting the pins. However, that appears not to be the case; it has a nice smooth surface formed by the router.

Anybody had this problem with the Akeda?

Len