Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Wiring for multiple control [4 switches control one set oflights]light switch !!!

On Jun 18, 4:33*pm, nestork wrote:
Robert:

I'm thinking that your best bet might be to simply replace your 4 way
switches with ones that have either lighted toggles or toggles of a
different colour than the rest of the switches in each "bank" of
switches. *That will at least set them apart visually, so you're brain
recognizes that those switches are different, and the toggle being in
the up position doesn't mean that anything is "ON".

I'm not familiar with 4 way switches, but with 3 way switches there
really is no "OFF" position like you have with ordinary switches. *With
3 way switches, you have two different "ON" positions where the switch
sends power down one conductor or another depending on the toggle
position, but no "OFF" position. *But, in that case, toggle down doesn't
mean the light is off since whether or not electricity flows depends on
the position of BOTH three way switches, not just the position of one
three way switch.

--
nestork

This is how they are wired. Beware, different terminology to USA.

http://www.lightwiring.co.uk/tag/int...switch-wiring/