Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default What does chain saw oil oil?

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 07:12:33 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Jun 18, 5:25*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
My anecdotal evidence is that my friend Jerry, used to live a couple hours drive south of me. He used bar oil, and the neighbor used crank case oil. The neighbor's chains wore out a lot faster.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
* *www.lds.org
.
.

wrote in ...
On Sunday, June 16, 2013 9:42:02 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Used crank case oil will wear out the bar and chain, it's full of abrasive metal pieces.

Bull****.

If used motor oil were full of abrasive metal pieces, your car's engine wouldn't have run long enough to get the oil warmed up to change it the last time!

The used motor oil was good enough for a close-tolerance multi-cylinder reciprocating engine 5 minutes before you dumped it. It is surely adequate for a sloppy-fitting chain riding in a track and being subjected to all sorts of contamination and abuse 5 minutes AFTER you dumped it.

Now there is firm scientific evidence...but mine cancels yours. I use
bar oil and my chains wear out faster than my neighbors. Iwond if my
cutting 10+ cord/yr and him only using his saw to trim stuff around
the yard would have anything to do with it...hmmm?

Anecdotal evidence is only good for laughs.

Harry K

Stormin never said his was anything but anecdotal. Heck, 90% of what's
posted here is anecdotal when you get down to it. Sometimes that's
all ya got.