Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Propane transfer hose

On Jun 16, 10:44*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I've got a couple part full propane tanks, and
would like to transfer some of the propane,
and take the (now) empties to fill.

Refrigeration guys used to do this with "Freon"
using a hose, and chill the destinaton bottle.
Anything like this exist for propane?
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
* *www.lds.org
.
.

Most U-Haul locations fill propane tanks by the gallon. The price per
gallon will vary (widely) by location, but near me the per gallon
price times the number of gallons to fill an empty tank is very close
to the one-price-fits-all cost to refill a tank (even a half-full one)
at BJ's Wholesale. In other words, BJ's charges you full price first
and then fills your tank. No refund if you only need half a tank. U-
Haul fills your tank and then charges you only for what you needed.

Just take all of your tanks to U-Haul and get them topped off at the
per gallon price.

However, if you are dead set on transferring the gas from one tank to
another, maybe you can do something with the following info...

I have no idea if this could be used for your application, but when we
camped a lot, I used to this to fill the 1 lb propane canisters from
my 20 lb tank:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AMC5WO

I recall that I would turn the 20 lb tank over and let her rip. I
don't think it filled the 1 lb canisters all the way, but it sure was
cheaper than buying new 1 pounders before each camping trip.

To use this for 20 lb to 20 lb transfer, you might need some more
adaptors and a hose, at which point, unless you are doing it quite
frequenly, you'll never recover the cost of the equipment vs. simply
paying full price to fill to fill your tanks (assuming no U-Hauls in
the area).