Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What does chain saw oil oil?

On Jun 16, 8:19*pm, micky wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 09:52:25 -0400, Frank

wrote:
On 6/16/2013 9:44 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I doubt Pam will soak far enough in, to lube the rivets
and the bar surface. Just a SWAG.

I've heard of people use a spray can of teflon lube,
give it a squirt every several seconds during cutting.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
* *www.lds.org
.
.
"micky" wrote in messagenews:7i9qr85q2u6raanus0kjo4vhj4sc59dive@4ax .com...

Can I use PAM? * *I've been using the same aerosol can of PAM for 30
years now, since I only use it hoping the snow won't stick to the snow
shovel. * Finishing this can is on my bucket list.

Had an experience several years ago where I used an old can of Teflon
mold release to lube my bicycle chain. *After a few weeks, the chain
started to rust. *Apparently no oil in it to protect the chain from
moisture.

I believe in using a product designed for the use.

Makes sense. * Despite what a couple guys here said, I decided against
vegetable oil in general. *Might be slippery at room temperatures, but
the chain gets a lot hotter. *Maybe it shouldn't but it does.

So what? Vegetable oil isn't slippery anymore just because it
gets hotter? I still have an old gallon of Stihl bar oil from
decades ago. Says right on the container it's soybean oil.
I'm sure they put some other additives in it to improve the
performance. I wouldn't put straight
veg oil in a brand new Stihl that I was using everyday.
But for some crappy old electric craftsman, that is leaking
oil, has a manual oil system, that I picked up for $10
at a yard sale, I sure would.