Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch David R. Birch is offline

Default Dimensions in CAD with fractions.

On 7/16/2013 12:12 AM, Richard wrote:
On 6/15/2013 10:26 PM, David R. Birch wrote:

I think you need to learn your CAD software better.

I know my software just fine, the problem is in the drawings we're
getting.

Someting is just wrong, and I can't believe it is that broken.

Exactly, and the reason I'm asking is that I also can't believe it is
that broken and I also can't imagine how I could duplicate the
distortion.

How did he do that and what can I tell him to make him stop?

You're talking about the raster output of a graphics package vs. the
vector output of CAD software. What we are receiving is a vector AutoCAD
DWG drawing with the dimensions all in inches and fractions of inches,
but the values of those fractions are not precise decimal equivalents,
or even consistently skewed.

David

The question is, from where are the dimensions referenced?

Are they all referenced from a common point?

They were all referenced from the same end of the parts. Similar
dimensions for each part from one end, but not consistent spacing and
the inconsistency wasn't consistent from part to part.

Or are they referenced - from each other?

Nope.

A string of points that reference from a single point should
line up just they wan one would expect.

In engineering, yes, I think this was done by someone with an
architectural background.

But what it sounds like is a string of points chained together
from one to the next - with rounding errors.

Or?

They were just located by eye...

The annoying thing is that they are close to location, but not close
enough for the various parts to actually fit together when assembled.

Ask the draftsman to practice saying, "you want fries with that?"...

No, if they have a degree, they say " would you like some fresh ground
pepper on that?..."

David