Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default What does chain saw oil oil?

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013 22:37:11 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" writes:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message

The oil is supposed to end up on the chain.

Recently I made a trip to our local hardware store and they had
no chain oil in stock. I did some Googling around and read that
vegetable oil works. And it does seem to work pretty well.

Another thing I noticed after cleaning up some of the mess from
Sandy, frequent sharpening of the blade is a good idea.

Most any kind of oil can be used. As it goes into the enviroment, you
really should use some that is biodegradable ( or what ever the buzz word
is ). It should not harm the enviroment.

That's pretty much what I found through Google.
Not only does the oil end up in the environment,
it also ends up on your face and clothes.

This chain oil is marked, I forget the words, but something that means
it doesn't get thrown off the chain. And that seems to be the case,
it doesn't get on me. But of course, it doesn't stay on the saw
forever or I wouldn't need to add more. I guess I can use PAM.
It's mostly canola oil. Origin of the name "Product of Arthur
Meyerhoff"

Vegetable oil seems like a good choice.