Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dimensions in CAD with fractions.

"David R. Birch" wrote in message
My company occasionally receives customer CAD files that have all or
most dimensions in inch fractions. What puzzles me is that when I
convert the fractions to decimal inches, the actual values turn out
to be only approximations of the fractions.
Why does this happen? How do you input 1/8" and get something other
than .125"?

David

It may be an accumulation of rounding errors. I've had to manually
reconstruct the intended location of features dimensioned as two-place
decimals obviously converted from fractions, 0.62" for instance, and
make sure the sum of dimensions equalled the (ref) length of the part.
That was trial-and-error detective work.

A friend at Saco did that for the 50 cal machine gun that John
Browning originally dimensioned to 1/128".

It's helped to learn the fractional and metric conversions, so I
recognize that the 0.434" I measured on an old South Bend part the
other day was 7/16" minus a production tolerance, or 0.that 470" means
12mm.

jsw