Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Help please to resolve a sticky situation.

On 13/06/2013 14:00, Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Being the recent owner of a satnav I wished to mount it on the dash.
However the surface is too rough for the suction pad to adhere properly,
so I bought one of the pads that stick on with 3M's adhesive. However
being a dunce I have stuck it in a position that is not the best choice.
Any suggestions on how to remove the pad please? I will then simply buy
another and hope get that right.

Soak it with WD40. May not work, of course, but shouldn't damage the
plastic and not very expensive.

Get some strong fishing line or similar. Slide under one edge and use a
sawing action to 'cut' through the glue layer with a bit more of wd40 as
you go through if needed.
Select a solvent to remove the remains from the dash making tests out of
sight as you try stronger solvents. White spirit, acetone, cellulose
thinners, MEK in order of activity (and risk!), might do the trick.

Adhesive tape residues often come off or soften in Swarfega or any
similar industrial handwash without damaging the surface finish.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown