Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help please to resolve a sticky situation.

Being the recent owner of a satnav I wished to mount it on the dash.
However the surface is too rough for the suction pad to adhere properly,
so I bought one of the pads that stick on with 3M's adhesive. However
being a dunce I have stuck it in a position that is not the best choice.
Any suggestions on how to remove the pad please? I will then simply buy
another and hope get that right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2013 13:35, Broadback wrote:
Being the recent owner of a satnav I wished to mount it on the dash.
However the surface is too rough for the suction pad to adhere properly,
so I bought one of the pads that stick on with 3M's adhesive. However
being a dunce I have stuck it in a position that is not the best choice.
Any suggestions on how to remove the pad please? I will then simply buy
another and hope get that right.

For my TomTom I bought something similar to (but not the same as, and
definitely cheaper than) this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LRMS66

In our car, it works very well. There is a nice near-flat bit on the
dash where it stays put and is level. Probably useless in many other cars.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Being the recent owner of a satnav I wished to mount it on the dash.
However the surface is too rough for the suction pad to adhere properly,
so I bought one of the pads that stick on with 3M's adhesive. However
being a dunce I have stuck it in a position that is not the best choice.
Any suggestions on how to remove the pad please? I will then simply buy
another and hope get that right.

Soak it with WD40. May not work, of course, but shouldn't damage the
plastic and not very expensive.

--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Being the recent owner of a satnav I wished to mount it on the dash.
However the surface is too rough for the suction pad to adhere properly,
so I bought one of the pads that stick on with 3M's adhesive. However
being a dunce I have stuck it in a position that is not the best choice.
Any suggestions on how to remove the pad please? I will then simply buy
another and hope get that right.

Soak it with WD40. May not work, of course, but shouldn't damage the
plastic and not very expensive.

Get some strong fishing line or similar. Slide under one edge and use a
sawing action to 'cut' through the glue layer with a bit more of wd40 as
you go through if needed.
Select a solvent to remove the remains from the dash making tests out of
sight as you try stronger solvents. White spirit, acetone, cellulose
thinners, MEK in order of activity (and risk!), might do the trick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Minchin wrote:
Soak it with WD40. May not work, of course, but shouldn't damage the
plastic and not very expensive.

Get some strong fishing line or similar. Slide under one edge and use a
sawing action to 'cut' through the glue layer with a bit more of wd40 as
you go through if needed.

Dental floss might be better.

--
*If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2013 14:00, Bob Minchin wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Broadback wrote:
[...]

Adhesive tape residues often come off or soften in Swarfega or any
similar industrial handwash without damaging the surface finish.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 13/06/2013 13:35, Broadback wrote:
Being the recent owner of a satnav I wished to mount it on the dash.
However the surface is too rough for the suction pad to adhere properly,
so I bought one of the pads that stick on with 3M's adhesive. However
being a dunce I have stuck it in a position that is not the best choice.
Any suggestions on how to remove the pad please? I will then simply buy
another and hope get that right.

If it's 3M VHB as is used for Dart Tags, then "with some difficulty"

3M's own advice* includes a citrus based cleaner, as has already been
suggested.

*here, if interested:
http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRet...te=I mageFile

Or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/mqojn86

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:21:42 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Being the recent owner of a satnav I wished to mount it on the dash.
However the surface is too rough for the suction pad to adhere properly,
so I bought one of the pads that stick on with 3M's adhesive. However
being a dunce I have stuck it in a position that is not the best choice.
Any suggestions on how to remove the pad please? I will then simply buy
another and hope get that right.

Soak it with WD40. May not work, of course, but shouldn't damage the
plastic and not very expensive.

Or 3 in 1.

Angle grinder.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Broadback" wrote in message
Being the recent owner of a satnav I wished to mount it on the dash.
However the surface is too rough for the suction pad to adhere properly,
so I bought one of the pads that stick on with 3M's adhesive. However
being a dunce I have stuck it in a position that is not the best choice.
Any suggestions on how to remove the pad please? I will then simply buy
another and hope get that right.

You could try car upholstery cleaner. It contains various
solvents/detergents, which between them should dissolve the adhesive. I
suggest you spray it into a small container and let it go to liquid then
apply with a brush.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:21:42 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Broadback wrote:
Being the recent owner of a satnav I wished to mount it on the dash.
However the surface is too rough for the suction pad to adhere properly,
so I bought one of the pads that stick on with 3M's adhesive. However
being a dunce I have stuck it in a position that is not the best choice.
Any suggestions on how to remove the pad please? I will then simply buy
another and hope get that right.

Soak it with WD40. May not work, of course, but shouldn't damage the
plastic and not very expensive.

Or 3 in 1.

Angle grinder.

Then clean it off with pressure washer.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2013 17:22, mark wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
Being the recent owner of a satnav I wished to mount it on the dash.
However the surface is too rough for the suction pad to adhere properly,
so I bought one of the pads that stick on with 3M's adhesive. However
being a dunce I have stuck it in a position that is not the best choice.
Any suggestions on how to remove the pad please? I will then simply buy
another and hope get that right.

You could try car upholstery cleaner. It contains various
solvents/detergents, which between them should dissolve the adhesive. I
suggest you spray it into a small container and let it go to liquid then
apply with a brush.

mark

I got it off using dental floss and WD40, after a while I was able to
get a screwdriver under and gently lever it off. There was no glue
residue left. The glue on the pad just peeled of on one go. Now if I
could get a really good adhesive I could even get the old one back on,
but at the price I don't think it is worth bothering!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 13:46:28 +0100, polygonum wrote:

For my TomTom I bought something similar to (but not the same as, and
definitely cheaper than) this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LRMS66

How heavy is it? I'm not keen on loose objects in cars that have much
mass. Have an accident (rolling, or becoming airborne shakes things
up nicely) for any reason and they end up flying about at relatively
high velocities, ie. the car and you (as you are strapped to it) have
slowed down or stopped but loose objects haven't. I wouldn't like to
be hit on the head by a ricocheting satnav doing 30 mph...

This comes from experience of hitting a (small) tree, rolling a car,
and watching the play backs of cameras mounted in cars for various TV
stunts. Any loose really does fly about all over the place.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2013 08:56, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 13:46:28 +0100, polygonum wrote:

For my TomTom I bought something similar to (but not the same as, and
definitely cheaper than) this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LRMS66

How heavy is it? I'm not keen on loose objects in cars that have much
mass. Have an accident (rolling, or becoming airborne shakes things
up nicely) for any reason and they end up flying about at relatively
high velocities, ie. the car and you (as you are strapped to it) have
slowed down or stopped but loose objects haven't. I wouldn't like to
be hit on the head by a ricocheting satnav doing 30 mph...

This comes from experience of hitting a (small) tree, rolling a car,
and watching the play backs of cameras mounted in cars for various TV
stunts. Any loose really does fly about all over the place.

It has some heft, enough not to wander around under ordinary
circumstances. I have always worried more about things behind me! You
have a point but I wonder how bad it would be compared with, for
example, a satnav on its own. It is at least supremely blunt whereas a
TomTom has quite a narrow edge all round it.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I got a satnav beanbag device like this and it's great.

The one I got was about £8 inc postage

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eGadget-Un...em3f20 12e204

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2013 23:58, bert wrote:
In message , Frank Erskine
writes
wrote:
Or 3 in 1.

Angle grinder.

Then clean it off with pressure washer.

Hmmm.. My car is approaching ten years old, I'll get nothing for it when
I eventually sell it. So, i'll really be the last one to look after it.
Or as they call broken on ebay, "customised".

So, if I've got to demount something, hell - use the SDS rotation stop
with the chisel attachment...

And I've got 'tuit plans to extend the top cowling of my dashboard
towards the centre of the car using MDF to house both sat nav and mobile
phone, keeping both below eyeline. There will be screws, no-nails and
holes drilled. My Octavia Mk1 will suffer pain until these things
securely fit.

--
Adrian C