Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default gas limb pruner

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 13:05:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, June 8, 2013 6:49:26 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
Is this job too big for a gas tree pruner?

For what it will cost you for a day's rent on the pruner, why not get it and give it a whirl?

It turns out that Saturday night it rained and the whole tree sagged
another 2 or 4 feet (If I said something different in an earlier post,
go with that instead) Anyhow, I could reach things by being up 3
feet on a ladder.

Probably a good idea to rent a 10' ladder too.

That is a good idea. I'm supposed to have a ladder rack that fits on
my trailer hitch. I got a newer car that takes a 3/4? draw bar
(instead of the rectangular draw bar the LeBaron took, back in '88)
and I haven't got all the accessories for it yet, but I could have
done that. (I use a big piece of foarm rubber on top of the windshield
molding to hold the front end of the ladder (It's a convertible.)

Standing 5' up a 6' ladder doesn't leave you much stability, and you will probably lose your balance and fall with the heavy pruner.

Yeah, I was standing 3 feet up on a 6 foot ladder and it wasn't that
stable.

I have been able to easily cut off branches up to 8" in diameter using a cheap Poulan power pruner.

Wow. I had no idea.

Can you give me more details, electric or gas?

So far I've only found th is one
Poulan 1.5 HP Electric Pole Pruner $98.99
http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/poul...Fcye4AodOFMArw
If this electric one is the one you mean, it costs less than two days
rental of the gasoline unit.
Rental for one day of the pro item, gas-powered, at one place was $65,
and at HD less but they may not have listed all the charges (CDW, and
a couple other things)

A professional unit should do at least as well.

Yeah, but now I want my own!

BTW, for the record

Poulan Pro® Pole Saw/Trimmer — 8in. Bar, 33cc Engine, Model# PP388PT
(56) Only $229 They call it Pro, but maybe it's not what you meant
by pro.

Husqvarna Pole Pruner — 12in. Bar, 24.5cc Engine, Model# 327P5X
(2) Only $569