Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default gas limb pruner

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 13:33:16 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 6/8/2013 3:49 PM, micky wrote:
Is this job too big for a gas tree pruner?

A tree about 10 feet outside my yard was at a 45^ angle over my yard
for the last 6 months, and yesterday some time, it went down a bit
lower, not it's maybe a 30^ angle with the ground. The tree is 35 to
40 feet tall, if it were upright, and now its trunk and branches 12 to
18 feet above the ground. The tree branches are resting on some 20'
high bushes in my yard, and I think it's still held up by the roots
too.

What is a good way to cut it up, while it is still up there?*** That
is, cut off ends, working back to my fence (and then it can be cut off
at the base.)

Branches are 2 - 4" thick and the trunk where I want to cut it is 3 -
7" thick.

I have a couple small and medium-small electric chain saws, but no way
to get them up that high**.

They rent gas driven tree pruners, with telescoping poles, which I
think will reach high enough if I'm 5 feet up a 6 foot ladder. Is
this job too big for them. The engine is at the bottom and the chain
is at the top. Maybe it will stall or won't cut for some reason?

Are there electric tree pruners that might be lighter, that maybe I
can find for rent if I look long enough?

**Or could I tie one of my small electric chain saws to my own
telescoping pole

Gas or electric, I guess the weight of the bar and blade (and electric
motor) is what helps the saw to cut.

What you probably want is this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-hp-electric-pole-saw-68862.html.

Wow, you're right, I do want that. Even though the tree fell lower
and I'm 2/3rds done, I want it for next time.

These are in very short supply. I finally got one after about six months
of waiting for the store to get some. They got two of them and they sold
them within minutes of each other (I saw the guy in line with the other
one).

Wow. And yet they put them on sale.

I think I saw one of those house brands of bicycle for sale for $100,
10-speeds, hand brakes etc. Now I'm pretty sure it won't last as
long** as a Schwinn would but I remember in 1965, a new Schwinn
3-speed cost 65 dollars. So the price for A bicycle has gone up only
55 percent or so in almost 50 years. While everything we don't buy
from Asia is probably 10x what it used to be.

**Not sure. When I have things they seem to last forever. In fact I
still have a Schwinn from 1965 or earlier (although I don't ride it.)