Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Blue Glue

On Jun 8, 11:47*am, "G. Ross" wrote:
About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. *The wood is
dark and fine-grained and looks like cherry. *The leg is fastened to
the upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. *I glued both dowels
with titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. *It had come off again. *The
glue on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. *Any ideas why
yellow glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? *Would residue
of hide glue do this?

Fresh hide glue wouldn't have given you problems. In fact,
it would have melted into the old and held like the joint was
welded. You wouldn't be able to break the dowels on that
old Duncan Pfyffe with a 10 lb maul. Assuming you didn't
scrape out the old hide glue, you still have a chance of
cleaning out the Titebond with the usual rag and hot water.