Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Blue Glue

About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. The wood is
dark and fine-grained and looks like cherry. The leg is fastened to
the upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. I glued both dowels
with titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. It had come off again. The
glue on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. Any ideas why
yellow glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? Would residue
of hide glue do this?

--
 GW Ross

 Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,
 124C, is blocking the driveway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/2013 10:47 AM, G. Ross wrote:
About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. The wood is dark
and fine-grained and looks like cherry. The leg is fastened to the
upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. I glued both dowels with
titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. It had come off again. The glue
on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. Any ideas why yellow
glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? Would residue of hide
glue do this?

No telling, but you best answer will come from here.

http://www.titebond.com/contact_us.aspx
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/2013 1:10 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/8/2013 10:47 AM, G. Ross wrote:
About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. The wood is dark
and fine-grained and looks like cherry. The leg is fastened to the
upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. I glued both dowels with
titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. It had come off again. The glue
on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. Any ideas why yellow
glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? Would residue of hide
glue do this?

No telling, but you best answer will come from here.

http://www.titebond.com/contact_us.aspx

Just as a follow up, this type of repair can be problematic. I have
done similar. If you did not create totally new, clean, fresh wood
surfaces the glue often fails. Typically you have to drill the hole out
to the next larger size, flush cut the dowels, and drill the next size
up and put in larger dowels. There is just something about fresh glue
not adhering well to old dried glue. My finding is that sanding the old
hole and dowel is not enough.
Posted to rec.woodworking

G. Ross wrote:
About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. The wood is
dark and fine-grained and looks like cherry. The leg is fastened to
the upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. I glued both dowels
with titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. It had come off again. The
glue on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. Any ideas why
yellow glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? Would residue
of hide glue do this?

I posted a picture on abpw. This is from an old Duncan Pfyffe double
pedestal table. It belongs to a retired military family and has been
around the world with them. Apparently on the front lines. The legs
have been replaced using big screws, 10 penny nails, finish nails,
etc. I had to pull out a 10d common nail before I could get into the
joint.

--
 GW Ross

 Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,
 124C, is blocking the driveway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote:
G. Ross wrote:
About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. The wood is
dark and fine-grained and looks like cherry. The leg is fastened to
the upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. I glued both dowels
with titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. It had come off again. The
glue on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. Any ideas why
yellow glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? Would residue
of hide glue do this?

I posted a picture on abpw. This is from an old Duncan Pfyffe double
pedestal table. It belongs to a retired military family and has been
around the world with them. Apparently on the front lines. The legs
have been replaced using big screws, 10 penny nails, finish nails, etc.
I had to pull out a 10d common nail before I could get into the joint.

That looks like a more modern preglued dowel. The type glue I am thinking
about is activated by radio
frequency.

Back to your soft glue that did not set up and my previous comment about
the old glue still being present. Typical wood glue has to soak into the
wood to cure. If there was still a layer of the old glue sealing the hole
the glue that you used was probably sealed in an air tight and sealed from
bare wood situation. Basically no where for the moisture in the glue to
go.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/8/2013 5:30 PM, Leon wrote:
"G. Ross" wrote:
G. Ross wrote:
[...]

Sounds about right, and like you suspected I think the hide glue is
reacting with the titebond causing the blue hue...

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/8/2013 4:30 PM, Leon wrote:

the glue that you used was probably sealed in an air tight and sealed from
bare wood situation. Basically no where for the moisture in the glue to
go.

For 6 months??? Nah...I'm not buying that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 8, 2013 4:34:02 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
Sounds about right, and like you suspected I think the hide glue is reacting with the titebond causing the blue hue... -- Jeff

I doubt the Titebond-Hide (old) glue is reacting. I've never seen anything as that.

Another possibility: Your initial repair didn't hold, possibly because of old glue remaining in the hole and the new glue didn't bond properly. The table owner tried to use their (there, they're, thar) kid's (blue colored) craft glue to repair it, and didn't tell you they tried to repair it that way.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"G. wrote:
G. Ross wrote:
[...]

Nope. That is just a dowel I cut and made a crude spiral on it with a
Dremel tool to give it more grip. The glue on the other end (inside
the table leg) has set and is firm and almost clear. Maybe they did
try to fix it with something else, but the son who brought it was
surprised and wondered if I used blue glue.

--
 GW Ross

 Do not call up that which you cannot
 put on hold.

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
On 6/8/2013 4:30 PM, Leon wrote:

the glue that you used was probably sealed in an air tight and sealed from
bare wood situation. Basically no where for the moisture in the glue to
go.

For 6 months??? Nah...I'm not buying that.

--

Umm glue does not cure in the air tight bottle after several tears. How
else would you explain the glue not curing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 23:58:31 -0500, Leon wrote:

Umm glue does not cure in the air tight bottle after several tears. How
else would you explain the glue not curing.

I never cry into my glue, but have forgoten to seal the bottle then
cried out an expletive.

I know I am being a smart ass.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 8, 10:47*am, "G. Ross" wrote:
About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. *The wood is
dark and fine-grained and looks like cherry. *The leg is fastened to
the upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. *I glued both dowels
with titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. *It had come off again. *The
glue on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. *Any ideas why
yellow glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? *Would residue
of hide glue do this?

--
* GW Ross

* Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,
* 124C, is blocking the driveway.

Maybe the blue comes from a copper bearing wood preservative like
copper napthenate. CuNap has been in use since the late 1800s:
http://www.merichem.com/resources/te...tive/index.php
Maybe the wood preservative was also used as a stain.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Good info. However consider this wood might be a 'Rose Wood' and
therefore absorbs a lot from the ground to color itself and at the
same time become high in silica that eats up our saws and tools.

Copper is common in volcanic areas and rivers are rich in it in the
central Americas and South Americas.

Either man made, or nature supplying the source.

Martin

On 6/9/2013 10:34 AM, Denis G. wrote:
On Jun 8, 10:47 am, "G. Ross" wrote:
About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. The wood is
dark and fine-grained and looks like cherry. The leg is fastened to
the upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. I glued both dowels
with titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. It had come off again. The
glue on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. Any ideas why
yellow glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? Would residue
of hide glue do this?

--
GW Ross

Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,
124C, is blocking the driveway.

Maybe the blue comes from a copper bearing wood preservative like
copper napthenate. CuNap has been in use since the late 1800s:
http://www.merichem.com/resources/te...tive/index.php
Maybe the wood preservative was also used as a stain.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 8, 10:47 am, "G. Ross" wrote:
About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. *The wood is
dark and fine-grained and looks like cherry. *The leg is fastened to
the upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. *I glued both dowels
with titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. *It had come off again. *The
glue on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. *Any ideas why
yellow glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? *Would residue
of hide glue do this?

--
* *GW Ross

* *Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,
* *124C, is blocking the driveway.

Maybe the blue comes from a copper bearing wood preservative like
copper napthenate. *CuNap has been in use since the late 1800s:
http://www.merichem.com/resources/te...er_naphthenate...
Maybe the wood preservative was also used as a stain.

Old copper pennies soaked in vinegar can turn the solution blue. I
wonder if a rag soaked in vinegar and wiped on the wood (maybe
underneath the table) might also leave a blue stain on the cloth.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 8, 2013 8:47:39 AM UTC-7, G. Ross wrote:
About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. The wood is

dark and fine-grained and looks like cherry. The leg is fastened to

the upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. I glued both dowels

with titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. It had come off again. The

glue on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. Any ideas why

yellow glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? Would residue

of hide glue do this?

--

 GW Ross

 Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,

 124C, is blocking the driveway.

Kind of goolish. I always use epoxy for these types of fixes. I find System 3 T-88 as a great option.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, June 8, 2013 8:47:39 AM UTC-7, G. Ross wrote:
About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. The wood is

dark and fine-grained and looks like cherry. The leg is fastened to

the upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. I glued both dowels

with titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. It had come off again. The

glue on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. Any ideas why

yellow glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? Would residue

of hide glue do this?

--

 GW Ross

 Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,

 124C, is blocking the driveway.

Kind of goolish. I always use epoxy for these types of fixes. I find System 3 T-88 as a great option.

Probably the perfect and easiest solution.
Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
On Saturday, June 8, 2013 8:47:39 AM UTC-7, G. Ross wrote:
About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. The wood is

dark and fine-grained and looks like cherry. The leg is fastened to

the upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. I glued both dowels

with titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. It had come off again. The

glue on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. Any ideas why

yellow glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? Would residue

of hide glue do this?

--

 GW Ross

 Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,

 124C, is blocking the driveway.

Kind of goolish. I always use epoxy for these types of fixes. I find System 3 T-88 as a great option.

That's what I used this time (after getting rid of the blue stuff.

--
 GW Ross

 A friend: someone who likes you even
 after they know you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 8, 11:47*am, "G. Ross" wrote:
About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. *The wood is
dark and fine-grained and looks like cherry. *The leg is fastened to
the upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. *I glued both dowels
with titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. *It had come off again. *The
glue on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. *Any ideas why
yellow glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? *Would residue
of hide glue do this?

Fresh hide glue wouldn't have given you problems. In fact,
it would have melted into the old and held like the joint was
welded. You wouldn't be able to break the dowels on that
old Duncan Pfyffe with a 10 lb maul. Assuming you didn't
scrape out the old hide glue, you still have a chance of
cleaning out the Titebond with the usual rag and hot water.