nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug[_17_] View Post
I didn't read the report so based on what you said only, I'd have to
agree with you but if the items were just thrown around and not well
pkgd or organized, perhaps they thought it was a cover up to use the
truck for looting???
No, what I think was the real issue was is that our border crossings are set up to handle international shipments, not international donations, and no one on your side of the border really knew what to do with that truck. There's hundreds of trucks cross into Canada and the USA every day at the Windsor/Detroit border, and one truck shows up without any paperwork and says it's delivering disaster relief. They just didn't know quite how to handle that situation and were concerned that it could be a "trick" of some sort.

I just didn't want to see all that food go to waste, and I couldn't see why they couldn't just check random packages on the truck to make sure it was hauling what they said and not any drugs, guns, illegal aliens or whatever. I'm sure the church group in Windsor that put that shipment together would have been fine with some US army truck drivers or any trucking company in Detroit using it's drivers to haul that trailer down to Oklahoma. As long as they got the tractor and empty trailer back in one piece. With your guys in complete control of that truck and it's cargo, no one on this side of the border is going to be able to pull off anything shady involving that truck or it's cargo cuz they wouldn't have any control over what gets given to whom. If the Church group donating the stuff is fine with that, it's safe to assume there's nothing illegal going on.

Whatever, if the trailer isn't in Oklahoma by now then the food is probably already spoiled. But, there really should be some way of getting food and disaster relief across the border quickly and efficiently because people can't go long without clean water to drink, and life can be really miserable without food to eat, warm blankets and Lord knows, diapers.

Last edited by nestork : June 10th 13 at 05:00 PM