Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Spray gun advice ...

On Monday, June 10, 2013 10:56:01 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,

fred wrote:

If you are sanding out brush marks you are using bad paint. Good paint

applied correctly has flow characteristics that allow it to self level.

There is no earthly reason why it cannot be flattened and polished

Which types of brushing paint can be flatted then polished afterwards?

(The problem I had with water based paints was that they dry too quickly

before they flow out completely, or the ones I tried did.

And I can cut in cleanly so no need to spend time masking off and

removing the masking tape afterwards and praying it doesn't destroy the

nice clean edge.

And I can clean a brush in about 2 minutes or even leave it wrapped in

cling film for a short while if I'm taking a break. Cant do that with

any spray gun I ever used. At a minimum they need a blast through with

gun cleaner which means finding some where to do that

And when I've finished with the paint I just replace the lid on the tin..

No faffing about cleaning out pots etc.

Incidentally I've been using a sprayer for years. Used to work in the

industry.

I found, with compressor operated units, that by the time I had

finished

faffing about with pressures, air volume, nozzles etc

That quote from you suggests not.

--

*If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Dave Plowman London SW

To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Any decent oil based paint can be flattened and polished once dry. I have gone down progressively to 800g wet and dry silicon carbide paper on panel doors and got a very high gloss finish without polishing.

There is no earthly reason why any oil painted surface can not be polished. I've done it with car cutting compound. Lot of trouble. Not worth the effort to my mind.

Au contraire, because of my experience, though many years ago, I do know what I am talking about. Unless I have a large surface to finish I don't bother with any spray equipment for the reasons given. Too much faffing about. Even to paint a fence it requires laying down dust sheets to protect the area in front of the fence whether its grass or tarmacadam and then one has to be aware of overspray and the neighbours, not on a windy day etc. None of these things are a problem
if using a brush

If finishing a piece of woodwork and I want to spray it, and I do have HVLP equipment, I have to set up a temporary spray booth and am limited to water based finishes not having the proper spark proof extractor fans etc.

I often resort to spray cans from B&Q. Might take a lot of coats but cuts out all the above faffing about.