Posted to rec.woodworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Blue Glue

On Jun 9, 8:23*pm, Martin Eastburn wrote:
Good info. *However consider this wood might be a 'Rose Wood' and
therefore absorbs a lot from the ground to color itself and at the
same time become high in silica that eats up our saws and tools.

Copper is common in volcanic areas and rivers are rich in it in the
central Americas and South Americas.

Either man made, or nature supplying the source.

Martin

On 6/9/2013 10:34 AM, Denis G. wrote:

On Jun 8, 10:47 am, "G. Ross" wrote:
About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. *The wood is
dark and fine-grained and looks like cherry. *The leg is fastened to
the upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. *I glued both dowels
with titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. *It had come off again. *The
glue on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. *Any ideas why
yellow glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? *Would residue
of hide glue do this?

--
* *GW Ross

* *Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,
* *124C, is blocking the driveway.

Maybe the blue comes from a copper bearing wood preservative like
copper napthenate. *CuNap has been in use since the late 1800s:
http://www.merichem.com/resources/te...er_naphthenate...
Maybe the wood preservative was also used as a stain.

Old copper pennies soaked in vinegar can turn the solution blue. I
wonder if a rag soaked in vinegar and wiped on the wood (maybe
underneath the table) might also leave a blue stain on the cloth.