Posted to rec.woodworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Blue Glue

On Jun 8, 10:47*am, "G. Ross" wrote:
About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. *The wood is
dark and fine-grained and looks like cherry. *The leg is fastened to
the upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. *I glued both dowels
with titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. *It had come off again. *The
glue on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. *Any ideas why
yellow glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? *Would residue
of hide glue do this?

--
* GW Ross

* Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,
* 124C, is blocking the driveway.

Maybe the blue comes from a copper bearing wood preservative like
copper napthenate. CuNap has been in use since the late 1800s:
http://www.merichem.com/resources/te...tive/index.php
Maybe the wood preservative was also used as a stain.