Posted to rec.woodworking
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Blue Glue

G. Ross wrote:
About 6 months ago I replaced a dowel in a table leg. The wood is
dark and fine-grained and looks like cherry. The leg is fastened to
the upright with two dowels about 5/8 " diameter. I glued both dowels
with titebond 2.

Yesterday the leg and post came back. It had come off again. The
glue on the new dowel was still soft and colored blue. Any ideas why
yellow glue would not set up, and why it turned blue? Would residue
of hide glue do this?

I posted a picture on abpw. This is from an old Duncan Pfyffe double
pedestal table. It belongs to a retired military family and has been
around the world with them. Apparently on the front lines. The legs
have been replaced using big screws, 10 penny nails, finish nails,
etc. I had to pull out a 10d common nail before I could get into the
joint.

--
 GW Ross

 Attention: Mu'ad Dib, your sandworm,