Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default proper way to use a lock washer?

On 6/7/2013 11:35 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 19:51:22 -0700, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

wrote in message
When using a nut, lock washer and bolt, should you also use a flat
washer between the object and the lock washer? I have seen it done a
million times that way but it seems the flat washer defeats the purpose
of the lock washer. I assume the lock washer is there to dig in a bit
to the object and the nut to keep it from loosening. The flat washer
seems like it would allow the lock washer to rotate without digging in
to the object.

Anyone know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washer_%28hardware%

29#Spring_and_locking_washers

It may be worth a more extensive search. A mechanical engineer I know,
whose a very sharp guy, told me that someone did a study and determined
that split washers work because they act as springs that keep the tension
on the threads in one direction.

Wikipedia is not always a reliable source.

Then edit the page so that it is more reliable...